The primary purpose of distance education at Lamar State College-Orange (LSC-O) is to maximize student access to courses through the use of web-based delivery systems.
Distance education at LSC-O integrates the assets of the college to provide a teaching and learning environment for distance learners comparable to that provided to on-campus students. Support services are available to both distant learners and faculty that help to provide quality education that is conveniently accessed.
Distance education at LSC-O is consistent with and supports the college's mission and its strategic plan.
All distance education courses at LSC-O are accessed through the Internet. Online courses are hosted by Desire2Learn at their hosting site. To log in to these online classes, students must have access to the Internet. They can access the Internet either through their own Internet Service Provider or through computers located on campus.
Goals of Distance Education at LSC-O
- Enhance student accessibility and participation in distance education initiatives.
- Create an environment which facilitates the development of distance education instruction in response to student and community needs.
- Encourage faculty participation in distance education initiatives and provide assistance and support in the development of courses, course materials, and use of instructional technology.
- Help support faculty to use alternate means of instruction.
- Promote the availability and utilization of distance education courses as a viable option for pursuing education goals.
- Ensure quality instruction in all distance education classes through assessment.