Lamar State College-Orange is an open-admission, lower-division state institution of higher education within the Texas State University System.
The primary purpose of the Center of Distance Education and Instructional Design (CIDDL) is to maximize student access to courses through the use of web-based delivery systems.
The Center for Instructional Design and Distance Learning (CIDDL) is consistent with and supports the college’s mission and its strategic plan. It supports LSC-O’s mission to enhance student learning and success in their educational pursuits to attend senior colleges and universities through an electronic-based delivery system. It provides students the opportunity to earn certificates and associate degrees through an electronic-based delivery system that prepares them for employment.
CIDDL integrates the assets of the college to provide a teaching and learning environment for distance learners, which is comparable to that provided to on-campus students. Central to the integration process is ensuring that support services are available to distant learners and faculty to assist in providing a quality education that is conveniently accessed.
All distance education courses at LSC-O are accessed through the Internet. Online courses are hosted by Desire2Learn at their hosting site. To log in to these online classes, students must have access to the Internet. They can access the Internet either through their own Internet Service Provider or through computers located on campus.
Center for Instructional Design and Distance Learning GOALS
PROMOTE SUCCESS THROUGH CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION THAT ADDRESS STUDENT LEARNING NEEDS THROUGH DISTANCE LEARNING.
1. Maintain an academic course inventory delivered via distance learning that provides a solid foundation of general education, fully transferable to senior institutions.
2. Develop and maintain vocational/technical certificate and degree programs offered online, that are relevant to student interests and labor market demands.
3. Ensure quality instruction in distance learning through effective course design and assessment.
PROVIDE STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES AND PROGRAMS THAT COMPLEMENT DISTANCE LEARNING AND ADDRESS STUDENT NEEDS.
1. Support library with resources that enhance distance learning for students.
2. Offer advising/counseling activities that provide a foundation for student success in distance learning.
3. Provide an learning environment for student success and retention in distance learning that is equivalent to traditional learning.
PROVIDE DISTANCE LEARNING SUPPORT SERVICES TO FACULTY, STAFF, AND ADMINISTRATORS.
1. Provide opportunities for professional development.
2. Provide appropriate technologies and facilities to meet the needs of instructional services.