TSI Pre-Assessment Activity
- Welcome to the Lamar State College – Orange Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Pre-Assessment Activity. The pre-assessment activity is designed for the following reasons:
- Texas Administrative Code Rule §4.54
Students seeking a degree or certificate with more than 42 hours and do not meet exemption criteria must take the TSI Assessment. Students in certificate programs with less than 42 hours are considered exempt from the TSI requirements but may need to take an alternate diagnostic test prior to enrolling in math or English for the first time.
- TSI is a state-legislated program designed to improve student success in college. Part of the program is an assessment to determine your basic skills in reading, mathematics and writing.
The TSI Assessment is an important part of the enrollment process at LSC-O and should be taken seriously. Your TSI Assessment score will determine what level your reading, writing and mathematics skills fall into. There are 3 skill levels: Adult Basic Education, Developmental Education, and College Ready.
The TSI Assessment is an untimed, adaptive, computer based test. Contact the Testing Center to schedule the test.
LSC-O Testing Center
Room 104, Ron E. Lewis Library Building.
Before taking the TSI Assessment it is recommended that you review the test format and sample questions.
You can review sample test questions by clicking here.
Texas Success Initiative Sample Questions
You can review sample essays by clicking here.
WritePlacer Guide with Sample Essays
For additional interactive test preparation, you can purchase the TSI Web Based Study for $4.50 from the College Board Store. Click here for more information:
Interpreting Your Score
After reviewing the sample test questions, if you do not feel prepared to take the TSI Assessment today, please see the testing administrator to reschedule your test.
Please notify the Disability Student Services at 409-882-3370 if you need special testing accommodations.
You should plan three to four hours for taking the TSI Assessment. On the day of testing:
- Arrive at the Testing Center 10 minutes before test time. Latecomers will not be admitted to test.
- Calculator and scratch paper are provided.
- Bring: Photo identification (DL or DPS ID) and receipt for $25 from cashier
- You will be placed in classes based on your TSI Assessment scores. LSC-O offers courses in each of the skill levels.
College Ready Developmental Education Mathematics 350 or above – MATH 1314 College Algebra or appropriate class for degree plan 336 and below – DMTH 0301 Intro to Algebra + NCBM 0200
337-345 – DMTH 0301 Intro to Algebra
346-349 – DMTH 0302 Intermediate Algebra
Reading 351 or above 350 or below – DIRW 0400 Integrated Reading/Writing Writing Essay score of 5-8 and multiple choice of 350 or higher; Essay score of 4 and Multiple Choice of 363 Essay score of 4 with multiple choice score 362 or below; Essay score below 4 - DIRW 0400 Integrated Reading/Writing
- Adult Basic Education: Information coming soon.
- Developmental Education: These classes help build the reading, writing and mathematics skills you need to be successful in college level classes. Developmental courses do not count toward degree requirements and may extend the time it will take you to complete your degree.
Courses offered – DMTH 0301, DMTH 0302, DIRW 0400.
- College Ready: Scoring in the College Ready range means you are not required to take any developmental course work and are considered TSI Complete.
- Non-Course Based Competency Option (NCBO): Non-course based developmental education includes developmental education interventions that use learning approaches that, compared to traditional lecture-only classes, more effectively and efficiently prepare students for college-level work.
- Meet minimum standards on the TSI Assessment.
- Meet one of the exemption/exception criteria established by the state.
- Successfully complete specific developmental coursework.
- LSC-O supports student success through a variety of resources including:
- Just a reminder. This is the TSI Pre-Assessment activity. When the actual test begins, you will be asked the following question:
Were you provided with information and/or an activity to help you understand all of the following 1. The importance of this assessment, 2. Sample questions, 3. Course options, and 4. resources for students?
You must answer “yes” to proceed with the test administration.
- When you are ready, please see the testing administrator to begin The TSI Assessment. If you do not feel ready to take the test today, the testing administrator can reschedule your test for another time.