Upgrade - Class B to Class A (Commercial Truck Driving) Program
With the expansion of local industry and the resources needed for the growth, there is a huge demand for individuals with a Class A Commercial Driver’s License. Lamar State College Orange offers a flexible training program designed to “Get Your Future in Gear.”
Classes begin every Monday, and we can work around your schedule to get you trained and on the job quickly!
Applicants to the Lamar State College Orange Commercial Truck Driving program must:
- Be at least 18 years of age for intrastate or 21 years of age for interstate and pass a mandatory Department of Transportation (DOT) drug test and DOT Physical.
- Be in reasonably good physical condition and have no serious physical handicaps. Must not be under doctor’s care with work limitations hindering his/her ability to complete assigned classwork. (For guidelines, please read the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations & Noise Emission Requirements, Chapter III – Federal Highway Administration, Department of Transportation – Subpart E - Physical Qualifications and Examinations – 391.41).
- Read and speak the basic English language to converse with the general public and make entries on reports and records.
- Possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Possess a valid Social Security number.
- Provide an original or certified copy of birth certificate. (Required for DPS)
- Legally able to travel throughout the state of Texas.
- Provide a 3-Year Driving Record (Payable to Texas DPS): $6.00- $8.00 (average) How to Order a Driver Record
- Possess a Class A Driver Permit (Payable to Texas Dept. of Public Safety): $25.00
- Register in the Clearinghouse as a Student Driver, instructions to register
$2,125- Commercial Driver’s Licenses Upgrade- Class B to Class A (Manual Transmission)
- Books, software, and one attempt at the road test administered by a third-party DPS testing site are included in the cost of tuition.
Each applicant will be personally responsible for paying the following fees to the appropriate parties:
- D.O.T Physical/Drug Screen (Payable to the medical facility you choose): $100-$120 (average) DOT Drug Test must be completed 7 days or less before the 1st day of class.
- 3-Year Driving Record (Payable to Texas DPS): $6.00- $8.00 (average) How to Order a Driver Record Students will need to provide a record prior to admittance into the course AND then will need another, dated within 30 days, prior to taking the CDL test, per the TXDOT regulations.
- Class A Driver Permit (Payable to Texas Dept. of Public Safety): $25.00
- Class A CDL (Payable to Texas Depart. of Public Safety): $61.00* The cost depends on the number of years remaining on current license. (OR)
- Class A CDL Skills Test Re-Test for Texas Residents (Third Party Vendor) $350.00
- Class A CDL Skills Test Re-Test for Louisiana Residents (Third Party Vendor) $100.00
- $1.25 for a Clearinghouse query
The Lamar State College Orange Community and Workforce Education Department does not accept financial aid, federal student loans, or payment plans for the $2,125 tuition fee. Full payment is required prior to beginning the program.
There are some agencies in Southeast Texas that may help students with tuition and fees if they meet the agency eligibility requirements. You may contact the following agencies for more information:
Phone: (409) 600-2679 - 510 Park Street Suite 100 Beaumont, TX 77701
Phone: (409) 984-2021 - 4680 FM 365 Port Arthur, TX 77642
Phone: (409) 839-8045 – Beaumont: 304 Pearl Street, Beaumont, TX 77701-2411
Contact Heather Huknke, Veterans Resource & Referral Specialist, email@example.com
Phone: (409) 839-8045 - Beaumont: 510 Park Street Suite 200, Beaumont, TX 77701-2411
Phone: (409) 962-1236 - Port Arthur: 4680 FM 365, Port Arthur, TX 77642
Phone: (409) 882-0302 - Orange: 2415 N 16th Street, Orange, TX 77630
Before you can apply for testing, you need to have, in your possession, your DOT Medical Card from a certified National Registry Medical Examiner. To find a clinic near you see the FMCSA National Registry (dot.gov)