New Student Checklist
Print Friendly New Student Checklist (pdf)
Complete Application for Admission
- Online at https://goapplytexas.org/ OR in person in Admissions on 3rd floor of library.
- Information available online: Admission Requirements. Admissions can be reached by phone at 409-882-3364.
- Turn in Copy of Driver’s License.
- Submit meningitis shot records for those under 22 years of age through MedProctor at www.medproctor.com at least 10 days prior to first day of classes.
- Dental Assisting, Pharmacy Tech, and Emergency Medical Services require preadmission testing and/or additional application process.
For more information visit Health, Workforce, and Technical Studies.
- Send all Transcripts to Admissions:
- Official High School/GED – See additional info needed if you do not have High School Diploma or GED or if you are an International Student.
- Official Colleges/Universities.
Take Placement exams for Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Law or entrance exams, if needed
- TSI Assessment for programs with 43 hours or more, if not complete or exempt. See LSCO Catalog for exemptions.
- TSI waived for programs with 42 hours (Level I Certificate). See an advisor for more information.
Apply for Financial Aid
- Apply online at https://www.studentaid.gov.
- Visit Financial Aid for additional info. You may visit the Financial Aid Office on the 3rd floor of the library or call 409-882-3317.
- Inquire about Scholarships.
- Verify status with financial aid prior to payment due date.
Retrieve NetID and password to access Blackboard, the MyGator portal and campus computers
What is Blackboard? Includes campus announcements and access to course content
- Visit www.lsco.edu. Click on the Quick Links drop down bar and select “Net ID/Password Retrieval.”
- Need R800, DOB-MMDDYY format.
- Help Desk 409-882-3033 M-F 8am-5pm or visit room 101 in the Academic Center.
Access Gator Self-Service
What is Self-Service Banner? Check grades, holds, view DegreeWorks, online registration, request transcripts, check account balance, make payments and more.
- Visit www.lsco.edu. Click on the MyGator portal.
- After signing in to MyGator, click on Gator Self Service.
Meet with an Academic Advisor if you are new, on probation, or have any registration holds.
- For pre-advisement prior to registration dates.
- During registration dates to be advised and/ or to register for classes.
- Walk ins only 1st floor of library in Advisement Center.
- Bring copies of transcripts, TSI assessment or DD214, if applicable.
- Be aware of classes needed at any schools you plan to transfer.
- New freshmen/Never attended college students are required to take Learning Frameworks. Open to others, if desired.
- Inquire about college credits through classes taken at other colleges/universities, AP, CLEP or other credit by exams.
- If you have no holds, and have over 15 hours, we recommend you meet with your Program Director or Division Director in the area of your study and you may register yourself. It is important to develop the relationship with faculty in your field of study.
- Register yourself for classes through Student Services! Refer to course recommendation sheet or DegreeWorks planner from your advisor.
Find most recent Policies and Procedures in current catalog
- Most up to date is available online at www.lsco.edu/catalog/catalog.asp
Pay Tuition and Fees
- Pay by due date
- Online on MyGator
- Cashiers on the 3rd floor of library or call 409-882-3371
- See Cashiers regarding installment plan, if needed.
- If you are on financial aid, verify it will pay by due date. If not, see Cashier’s Office for short term loan.
- Louisiana residents need to sign a Louisiana Reciprocal Exemption for in state tuition. Call 409-882-3364 for more info.
Obtain Picture ID in Library and Parking Permit in Student Center
- Pay tuition and provide license plate number and ID for Parking Permit.
- Select materials through the Gator Book Pack.
- The Book Store at LSCO is virtual and you may look up needed books at https://lamar-orange.bncollege.com
Attend New Student Orientation
- Call 409-882-3340 for dates and times.
Take Advantage of Gator Success Center
- Located in Ron Lewis Library Building on the 2nd floor, or call 409-882-3373
Students with Disabilities
- If you are a student with a disability, you must meet with the Disability Support Services (DSS) coordinator in the Advising Office to request assistance and receive accommodations.
- You must provide documented support of your disability in the form of high school records (i.e., senior level ARD and FIE), current psychological evaluation or medical records which are signed by an appropriate professional and meet set criteria
Remember, you can visit with an advisor for any questions or concerns you may have throughout the semester!