Distance Education and Online Education are often used synonymously. Regardless of the terminology used, at Lamar State College Orange online education is when students take a majority of coursework from a distance/off-campus through the Blackboard learning management system. Depending on course requirements, students might have to come to campus for testing or lab components. Online education offers students several advantages for completing their education. Students are able to engage in education from a distance, in the comfort of their own homes, and in a relaxed self-paced.
Lamar State College Orange adheres to the definition of distance education and good practices set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. In addition, LSCO follows the guidance of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges’ distance education definition and standards.
What do online courses require?
Online courses allow students the opportunity to overcome issues of time and space in higher education. Students do not have to frequently travel to campus with a regular schedule and are provided opportunities to work at a pace more comfortable to the student.
Online courses require students to be self-motivated and have the ability to create a work schedule that meets the demands of the online environment.
Valid reasons for taking an online course include a more flexible course program to accommodate busy work or family schedules and reduce travel.
Problems that students may encounter:
- Technology issues
- Family and work distractions
- Feeling isolated from peers and the instructor
- Inability to navigate the Blackboard environment
- Maintaining the pace of the course
- Continuing the demanding reading and writing requirements
- Blackboard Student Resources
- Third-Party and Publisher Support Contacts
- Online Attendance and Participation Requirements
- AI Policy
- Information for Out-of-State Online Students
- Gator Success Center
- Disability Support Services
- Accessibility Policy
- Student Services
- Academic Services
- Online Tutoring Information
- LSCO UpSwing Site
- How to use UpSwing as a Student - Video
- UpSwing Flyer
- UpSwing Website Help Guide